Subject: Re: Work-in-progress "wedges" implementation
To: Daniel Carosone <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/29/2004 14:57:44

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 10:16:53AM +1000, Daniel Carosone wrote:
> Other random useful ideas, both of which probably belong in the
> userspace label-parsing-wedge-creating tools:
>  - a implied wedge for "unpartitioned space", though perhaps it
>    shouldn't be usable as a filesystem.

Do we really need this? Would it be enough for the raw-disk driver(s) to=20
respond to "wedge" ioctls as if the whole disk were one wedge?

>  - a very small wedge for the actual sector(s) occupied by the MBR or
>    other partition tables, to disabiguate update access to this data and
>    avoid various special "skipping first block" schemes in filesystems
>    etc.

Too late. The file systems already have this skip space. To not do so
would mean changing the fs layout. They also need to retain something, as
they also have to support having boot code in the front of the fs.

Take care,