Subject: Re: fsck hangs up on error (is it normal ?)
To: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
From: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/29/2004 20:26:18
Charles,

>>Thereafter nothing happens, fsck_ffs seems to be blocked on physio,
>>probably in the driver.
>
> There are conditions under which an ATA disk will simply stop responding to
> any commands.  The driver should notice this and start timing them out,
> though.  How long did you wait?

Not hours, but 10 mn at least. Nothing more. No kernel messages,
fsck_ffs still blocked in physio.

The first time, I had the absurd idea of connecting the faulty drive on
the same IDE bus as mine: that was a grave error: the IDE bus was hanged
busy, so there was no way I could access my own disk. When I connected
each on a different cable, though wd1 was hanged up, the other carried
on working normally.

V.