Subject: fsck hangs up on error (is it normal ?)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/29/2004 12:28:50
Hello,
a friend of mine gave me a defectuous hard drive just to see what I
could make of it under Unix. The nasty thing is that I suspect the
controler, not the disk, to be damaged. Anyhow.

I make a disklabel+newfs okay, try to copy a large file to pin the
problem, and the cp (or the fsck I did after) hangs up on :

wd1: transfer error, downgrading to Ultra-DMA mode 1
wd1(piixide0:1:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 1 (using DMA data
transfers)
wd1e: error reading fsbn 756960 of 756960-757087 (wd1 bn 757023; cn 751
tn 0 sn 15), retrying
wd1: (uncorrectable data error)

Thereafter nothing happens, fsck_ffs seems to be blocked on physio,
probably in the driver.

Is that a normal behaviour ?

Thanks,
Vincent