Subject: Re: WD_QUIRK_FORCE_LBA48
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/28/2004 21:38:03
On Tue, Sep 28, 2004 at 12:32:59PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> Maybe the code should just use LBA48 always if the disk supports it,
> rather than using it only if the command needs it in order to fit the
> LBA...?

The check against 0xffffff was added specifically so that with drives
supporting LBA48, we could still access the first 128GB if the controller
didn't support LBA48 (like some promise controllers).
Some drives support LBA48, even if they're not larger than 128GB. Even
for drives larger than 128G it's usefull, as it allows the drive to be
used in degraded mode on such controllers.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>