Subject: Re: device ID <->device name database [was hardware detection]
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Thierry Laronde <tlaronde@polynum.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/27/2004 23:18:21
On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 10:57:41PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 10:39:14PM +0200, Thierry Laronde wrote:
> >
> > 	-> Question? Is there some reason why the same choice is not given
> > 	with another type of root fs (say wd*) leading to a panic if init
> > 	is not found? [this is not a criticism, this is just a question ;)]
>
> It does. It panics when the filesystem can be mounted but there is no
> /sbin/init in it (or it's not functionnal). In you case I guess the md
> device couldn't even be mounted.

Yes indeed, it was left over (I did not populate the tree and indeed not
mdsetimage the kernel) and I did some tests as is.

> Also you can have it ask you with 'boot -a'

Thanks and to complete with a tip given by Allen Briggs, one can define
RB_ASKNAME.
--
Thierry Laronde (Alceste) <tlaronde +AT+ polynum +dot+ com>
http://www.kergis.org/  |  http://www.kergis.com/