Subject: Re: Signal catching changes broke Matlab
To: Christos Zoulas <>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/27/2004 20:30:31
Christos Zoulas wrote:
> It is not the masking of SIGSEGV... It is a more subtle thing,
> because linux behaves the same way. Anyway the change should
> not be backed out because it will make SEGV processes spin again,
> but we should investigate why side-effect it is causing.

The spinning is not a severe problem - such app can easily be killed
manually. Since the change broke some real-world apps and we want
fix for 2.0, IMO the correct short-term fix is to remove it from the
tree and _then_ work on change which both does the desired thing
and doesn't break Matlab I just do not want to ship 2.0 with
known Linux emulation problem, especially not one breaking Java-based

Jaromir Dolecek <>
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-