Subject: Re: Signal catching changes broke Matlab
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/27/2004 19:12:44
dolecek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mark Davies tracked down the problem with Matlab. It's caused
> by change in rev. 1.190 of sys/kern/kern_sig.
>
> Problem is, how would be fix this properly? Just backing
> the change off is an option. Perhaps only do the resetting
> if the signals are not shared (i.e. p->p_sigacts.sa_refcnt == 1) ?

I think the change should just be backed off - apps should
know best why they mask SIGSEGV, and doing magic behind
app's back like resetting the signal handler is IMHO not right.

So, unless someone thinks different, I'd remove the change by
end of the week and request pullup do 2.0 branch (now 2.0RC1).

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-