Subject: Re: Work-in-progress "wedges" implementation
To: Jason Thorpe <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/24/2004 18:43:47

On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 05:26:09PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2004, at 6:52 AM, Robert Elz wrote:
> >When this happens, it is going to be even more important than it is
> >now to solve one of the current problems we have on NetBSD (maybe
> >other systems do as well).
> I appreciate everyone's comments on wedges so far.  Thanks!  Keep them=20
> coming! :-)

No problem. And thanks again for working on this. As evidenced by the=20
number of posts I've made, I'm very excited by this work. :-)

> I agree, a better approach to device identification is needed.  I plan=20
> on dredging up my devfs ideas again once wedges is in and a little more=
> useful, because I think a devfs is the right way to solve these issues.

Agreed. I think it may help to note what issues we expect devfs to solve=20
well, so that folks object less for now, however we can leave the details=
for later.

Also, since we are now getting very active about locators, my main devfs=20
and wedges concerns are going away (mainly that if you set permissions on=
something that it keeps those permissions even if it moves around).

> However, I want to try and keep those issues separate from wedges, for=20
> now... I believe wedges can be useful even before we solve world=20
> hunger.  I also think it's important to have a lot of people looking at=
> / working on the code.

> In any case, I plan on checking in my work-in-progress tonight.

Cool! I'm working on a module to read Apple partition maps.

Take care,