Subject: Re: Work-in-progress "wedges" implementation
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/23/2004 12:20:52
--JkW1gnuWHDypiMFO

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 04:35:37PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> Oh.  Well, eventually a whole-disk e.g. /dev/sd0 will be there.  The=20
> wedges are also named /dev/dk0, /dev/dk1, etc.  The /dev/dk/WegeName=20
> names are really intended to just be aliases.  If the wedge doesn't=20
> have a name, you can still access via the /dev/dkN path.

But guessing N gets harder than guessing N now for sdN when I plug in
another flash widget.

If we have aliases, can we have also aliases that correspond to the
"dmesg path" that just got printed on the console for the user.
Something vaguely like:

 /dev/dk/umass4/sd6/mbr0=20

> >Many flash usb widgets have an partition table on them, but its very
> >rare that there's more than one whole-disk partition defined.
>=20
> Understood.  Nevertheless, having that partition be named is very=20
> useful, so that your /etc/fstab entry always works, regardless of probe=
=20
> order, e.g.:
>=20
> /dev/dk/DanFlashKey /frob msdos rw,noauto 0 0
>=20
> As you said, this can be done using e.g. the MS-DOS volume name.

Oh, yes, trust me, I'm very much looking forward to using this
functionality, because right now I have to type long mount lines
because something is always different to not fit neatly in fstab.

But the above discussion is about the inverse case we have now and
shouldn't lose, where someone wants an fstab entry that refers to
physical devices rather than random media inserted.

--
Dan.

--JkW1gnuWHDypiMFO

--JkW1gnuWHDypiMFO--