Subject: Re: Work-in-progress "wedges" implementation
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Daniel Carosone <dan@geek.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/23/2004 07:34:36
--32u276st3Jlj2kUU

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 01:26:34PM -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> Wedges are a new way of representing disk partitions in the NetBSD=20
> kernel.

Hooray! At last! :)

Two quick initial comment:

>            Wedges may not be created on a disk if any partition other
>            than RAW_PART is open.

Is this a current limitation, or an intended permanent feature?

>         5. My patch includes modifications to make wedges work with the=
=20
>            "wd" driver.  I will convert the other disk drivers over
>            time.  An outstanding question: What should we do about
>            floppy drives?

Removable media are one of the most useful cases for named
partitions. It should be reasonably simple to have a wedge discovery
that looks at the volume name from a fat, iso9660 etc fs and creates a
wedge corresponding to that name. Having a (constant) path-based name
would also be good (for when you don't care).

The other aspect of floppies is the current hack to encode density
info into the partition bits. I've never really liked that, but I'm
not sure what to do with it either. Again, maybe there are
(overlapping) wedges created and named according to the drive's
supported densitites?

Or perhaps we make fd just like other disks move it to some tool like
atactl/dkctl with a setdensity option? (make fdformat like that too?)

Many fd's these days are presented to us as sd (via usb) anyway, so a
more generic solution is needed.

--
Dan.

--32u276st3Jlj2kUU