Subject: Re: Work-in-progress "wedges" implementation
To: NetBSD tech-kern <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/23/2004 19:57:50
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:27:06 -0500
Chapman Flack <flack@cerias.purdue.edu> wrote:

> It seems to me Solaris does (or once did) both: there was
> /devices/bus/controller/locator/bus/controller/locator/locator/locato
> r, and /dev/shortname was a symlink to it.  I liked that approach,
> because you had short names in /dev that you could choose as you liked
> (just normal symlinks after all), plus if you ever wondered exactly
> what device is/dev/shortname you just ls -l it.
IRIX does similar things. You have e.g.
/hw/node/xtalk/15/pci/0/scsi_ctlr/0/target/1/lun/0/disk/partition/0/block
and /hw/disk/dks0d1s0 as real device nodes and symlinks in /dev. I
really like the long and verbose file path that mapps 1:1 to the path in
the device tree. Once you get confused where your new device is you can
walk the device path down to it.=20
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen