Subject: Re: vm tuning/monitoring
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: SODA Noriyuki <soda@sra.co.jp>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/11/2004 01:09:56
	Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org> said:

> I'm not sure how much this will help. Our current pager behavior is not
> considered optimal, and working out a different pager method would
> probably be better.

I think it's worth considering "cache list" idea described in the
following presentation:
	http://nordu.dkuug.dk/NordU2000/papers/papers/th16-solaris8.pdf

Not only this does fix unnecessary paging caused by high filesystem
activity, this also eliminates artificial configuration parameters
like vm.{anon,file,exec}{min,max}, so it should fit more sorts of
workloads.

The other interesting point is that the Solaris presentation says
it does improve random file I/O performance, because it reduces
the load of kernel page scanner.

FWIW, not only Solaris, but also FreeBSD seems to have the cache list
since FreeBSD 2.0.5.
--
soda