Subject: Re: vm tuning/monitoring
To: Bill Studenmund <>
From: SODA Noriyuki <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/11/2004 01:09:56
	Bill Studenmund <> said:

> I'm not sure how much this will help. Our current pager behavior is not
> considered optimal, and working out a different pager method would
> probably be better.

I think it's worth considering "cache list" idea described in the
following presentation:

Not only this does fix unnecessary paging caused by high filesystem
activity, this also eliminates artificial configuration parameters
like vm.{anon,file,exec}{min,max}, so it should fit more sorts of

The other interesting point is that the Solaris presentation says
it does improve random file I/O performance, because it reduces
the load of kernel page scanner.

FWIW, not only Solaris, but also FreeBSD seems to have the cache list
since FreeBSD 2.0.5.