Subject: Re: vm tuning/monitoring
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Simon Burge <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/10/2004 12:25:36
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> Following up some discussion from earlier today, below is my patch to
> print a bit more when the {file,anon,exec}{max,min} barriers are bit.
> [ ... ]
> Maybe some counters should be kept to see how often the various limits are
> bit, possible even noting a rate of how often per time unit...

I added some evcnt counters and after 25 hours on my 512MB 2.0 branch
i386 (with yamt's recent anonpages accounting fix) I see:

	thoreau 10> vmstat -ev | grep uvmscan
	uvmscan anonunder                                 0        0 misc
	uvmscan fileunder                                 0        0 misc
	uvmscan execunder                              1745        0 misc
	uvmscan anonover                                457        0 misc
	uvmscan fileover                               1079        0 misc
	uvmscan execover                                  0        0 misc

Is it worth adding this to our sources (maybe #ifdef UVMSCAN_COUNTERS)?
The "uvmscan" might be better as "uvmpd_scan" too...

Simon Burge                            <>
NetBSD Support and Service: