Subject: Re: vm tuning/monitoring
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/09/2004 10:03:51
--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 01:37:48AM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>=20
> Following up some discussion from earlier today, below is my patch to
> print a bit more when the {file,anon,exec}{max,min} barriers are bit.
>=20
> When doing a "cvs update" or other disk intensive action, I expect to see
> the (file) buffer cache filling up, but why that makes the system think
> that not enough exec pages are present is beyond me:

I don't think that that indication means that not enough pages are=20
present, I think it means that so few pages are mapped that the daemon=20
won't throw exec pages out to get more memory.

Your other note indicated you have 35 MB of exec. If you have 1 GB of ram,=
=20
that's less than 5%. Also, with shared mappings, you could be less than 5%=
=20
for 0.5 GB of ram.

> 	HF: fileover hit in uvm_pdaemon::uvmpd_scan_inactive()!
> 	HF: execunder hit in uvm_pdaemon::uvmpd_scan_inactive()!
> 	HF: fileover hit in uvm_pdaemon::uvmpd_scan_inactive()!
> 	HF: execunder hit in uvm_pdaemon::uvmpd_scan_inactive()!
> 	HF: fileover hit in uvm_pdaemon::uvmpd_scan_inactive()!
> 	HF: execunder hit in uvm_pdaemon::uvmpd_scan_inactive()!
> 	HF: fileover hit in uvm_pdaemon::uvmpd_scan_inactive()!
> 	HF: execunder hit in uvm_pdaemon::uvmpd_scan_inactive()!
> 	HF: fileover hit in uvm_pdaemon::uvmpd_scan_inactive()!
>=20
> I guess that some other funny effects could be observed.
> FWIW, this is on 2.0_BETA/i386.
>=20
> Maybe some counters should be kept to see how often the various limits are
> bit, possible even noting a rate of how often per time unit...

I'm not sure how much this will help. Our current pager behavior is not=20
considered optimal, and working out a different pager method would=20
probably be better.

Take care,

Bill

--vkogqOf2sHV7VnPd