Subject: Re: Is there a devfs in the works?
To: Chapman Flack <flack@cerias.purdue.edu>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/06/2004 13:11:12
--Apple-Mail-4-230155142

On Sep 6, 2004, at 11:58 AM, Chapman Flack wrote:

> I saw a lot of good devfs ideas in the mail archives, but can't tell if
> there's current activity.  There seems to be an empty CVS directory for
> it in miscfs.  The ideas that seemed best to me involved some
> config syntax to specify initial naming/ownership/mode defaults, with
> an
> on-disk db the kernel updates if the user changes those attributes
> after
> boot.

It's a pet project of mine, but I haven't had much time to work on it
for many months.

However, I expect to maybe start working on it again shortly.  I
currently have a prototype implementation of "wedges", and devfs makes
wedges a lot nicer in several ways.

--Apple-Mail-4-230155142
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit