Subject: Is there a devfs in the works?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Chapman Flack <flack@cerias.purdue.edu>
List: tech-kern
Date: 09/06/2004 13:58:53
I saw a lot of good devfs ideas in the mail archives, but can't tell if
there's current activity.  There seems to be an empty CVS directory for
it in miscfs.  The ideas that seemed best to me involved some
config syntax to specify initial naming/ownership/mode defaults, with an
on-disk db the kernel updates if the user changes those attributes after
boot.

It would be so much tidier than the MFS MAKEDEV magic, and I really like
the idea of seeing only the devices it makes sense to see.

Btw (I see it's been mentioned before in the archives) if it's still
MFS MAKEDEV we're stuck with for a while, it fails if there are not
(static) chown and chgrp in /bin or /sbin.  Btw^2, is there anything
wrong with having dynamic binaries and having a /lib for 'essential
shared libraries' as they say in the HFS standard?

-Chap