Subject: BSD kernel books recommendation
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org, tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/27/2004 18:48:19
Can anyone recommend any good books/articles/online resources, etc,
related to BSD kernel internals. I have a set of excellent books by
Richard Stevens on Unix system and network programming, which I use
extensively, however I would like to fully understand the lower
semantics of Unix, i.e. BSD kernel design/implementation. I know there
isn't a single book which describes everything there is to know about
operating systems design, but rather there are many books attributed to
specific topics, i.e. virtual memory, file systems, networking etc.

By the way I was searching on http://www.amazon.co.uk  in "Books
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/stores/browse/-/books/266239/ref=br_lr_/202-3619726-4661433>
<http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/browse/-/1025612/ref=br_lr_/202-3619726-4661433>
 > *Computers & Internet"

Search on BSD brings up about 14 pages, there is a link to** "The Design
and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System" which seems like a
good book

Search on Linux brings up 1999 pages!!!

So, if anyone can recommend reading material to get me started on BSD
kernel hacking etc, please let me know :-)
*