Subject: PCMCIA socket API change
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Charles M. Hannum <abuse@spamalicious.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/11/2004 16:49:03
In order to improve attach performance, and fix problems with some cards that
can't access CIS mode reliably in I/O mode, I've made a change to the API for
the socket drivers.

Added is a "settype" call, which takes a socket handle and a type
(PCMCIA_IFTYPE_MEMORY or PCMCIA_IFTYPE_IO), and configures the socket for
this type of card.  The "enable" routine no longer does this, and should
instead reset the socket to "memory card" mode.  (The latter part is very
important.)  You should also reset the card type in the "disable" routine, to
avoid any potential for a floating interrupt line.

I've updated and tested the i82365 and CardBus/Yenta drivers myself.  I've
also updated but cannot test: nell, plumpcmcia (hpcmips), hd6446[15] (hpcsh)
and tcic (x86).  There are also numerous other socket drivers in various
other ports, most notably the ARM ports.

Please update your code as necessary.