Subject: Re: [OT] Survey about FS/OS developers
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Frauke Lehmann <frauke.lehmann@gmx.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/11/2004 17:11:15
> >  Sorry for stupid question, just found "free software/open source".
> > Maybe it
> > should be started with capital letters :)

next time :-)

> Maybe it shouldn't be on 'tech-kern' which is completely the wrong
> place for it.

I'm sorry for having disturbed you. It's hard to find proper lists or
contacts in general for this kind of purpose. I tried to contact single
persons involved in projects or "places" like "press contact" of several
FS/OS projects (including NetBSD - maybe he is doing holidays) some time
ago, asking where to send my request. I didn't get _any_ response, even
not some "go to hell" which I would accept.

>  It should also be noted that I've seen fairly regular
> occurences of "students wanting to survey FS/OS developers for their
> masters thesis" in the last few months.  Maybe it's a new way of
> harvesting email addresses?

How does it should work? Writing to a mailing list you published your
email address alrady. So it is more like I invited some spammers to my
address, sending the request.

>  Or maybe this is the latest fashion in
> Masters Theses...

That is true observation, maybe you should add some information for
studends writing master thesises etc. on the NetBSD webpage, what to do
(getting away, where to send a request, ..).

Frauke