Subject: microcode driver for ia-32
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: phlox <phlox-netbsd-kern@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/06/2004 16:13:58
--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

Greetings.
I'm developing a character device driver for NetBSD that will allow the
microcode update in the IA-32 architecture, but I have some design questions
that I would like to clarify:
    * What devices should I use for SMP machines ? Should I create only
      /dev/microcodei (and then use ioctl() to select the CPU)=20
      or /dev/microcode[0-3] (for a 4-way SMP system) ?=20
      (I think the last follows UNIX semantics better).
    * I've been seeing the lkm code and I found that the loaded lkm list is=
 an
      array (lkmods[MAXLKMS]). Why isn't it a linked list, since this would
      allow better cleanness ?

Best regards.

--=20
  "Simplicity is the ultimate=20