Subject: Re: IDE driver misfeature?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/04/2004 12:20:38
On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:45:23AM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> It occured on 1.6 too. It should be better in 2.0, now that there is a kernel
> thread to handle recovery, instead of busy-waits in the interrupt routine
> (the network stack should still be functionnal, for example).

Hmm.  My desktop system appeared completely dead (I didn't try to
ping it, had no other machine here at that time).  XFree didn't work,
mouse pointer froze etc.  After a few minutes the system was back
alive.  The weird thing is that there were no messages in syslog
about the problem.  I didn't even know this was a disk problem until
the disk locked up so bad that I had to power-cycle the system.

(The disk is still "working", it only lucks up 1-2 times a month.
I can dd the whole disk to another one, so the problem is not
triggered by a specific sector or anything.)

> I admit I didn't have a failing drive to test this recently :)

I can give you dead IBM disks ;-) :-(

  -jm