Subject: Re: SuSE 9.1 packages imported (Linux emulation)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 08/01/2004 13:19:04
(moving thread to tech-kern)

> I've imported an incomplete set of SuSE 9.1 packages a few minutes ago.
> These package do *not* work stable with NetBSD's Linux emulation.
> Mozilla (taken from the "mozilla-bin" package) crashes in one of two
> attempts to start it.

Okay, I can repeat the problem here. Starting Mozilla-linux several
times makes it eventually start properly and run (apparently) fine.
Appears some file pages may not be loaded properly, leading to spurious
SIGSEGV.  It may be the same problem which has been occurring with
the native threads and native Mozilla some months ago.

I do not recall what was the exact fix to the 'native' Mozilla case.
Perhaps that needs to be extended to handle also address space
shared via clone(2)?

The new libs also use new Linux syscall exit_group(), but that happens
only in fatal signal handling (such as SIGSEGV), and is not causing
the problem AFAICS from kdump.

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-