Subject: Re:
To: Sascha Retzki <lantis@iqranet.info>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/27/2004 09:30:11
On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 03:08:06PM +0200, Sascha Retzki wrote:
> Am Di, 2004-07-27 um 14.19 schrieb Zafer Aydogan:
> > I am planning to set up a backup storage server for our company.
> > I'd like to know, if I can use 250 GB Harddrives, which my Bios does not
> > recognize.
> > I thought about using 4 x 250 GB in a row, simple IDE with one primary IDE
> > Master+SLave and one secondary IDE with Master & Slave
> > Can NetBSD manage 1000 GB at all ?
> > Any other smarter solution?
>
> What about RAID ? "backup storage server" sounds like raid for me ;)
	which means 2x the drives (depending on which raid), in which case
you need something other than just two IDE controllers.
	Either way NetBSD should be able to handle that, but you'll want to
make sure to be using a recent (within the last week or so) version b/c
there have been some bug fixes concerning filesystems approaching 1TB.
	You'll be stretching the capabilities of the system beyond what most
people do, so make sure you test it to ensure it works.
	Don't forget that you also need to figure out how to get the data
onto the system in a timely fasion, and how to organize it.

eric