Subject: Re: tlp(4) is unable to detect phy.
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/19/2004 00:07:58
On Jul 18, 2004, at 3:07 PM, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> On Sunday 18 July 2004 19:56, Jochen Kunz wrote:
>> On my mission to bring port-hp700 PCI support I came acros a problem
>> with the build in tlp(4) interface found in B-Class machines. I
>> pluged a
>> DEC DE500 PCI card in one PCI slot (PCI dev 2) that works fine. tlp(4)
>> is unable to detect the phy of the on board interface (PCI dev 20).
>> As I
>> am not a tlp(4) / mii(4) expert I hope someone else can see what is
>> going wrong. Below is the output of a NetBSD and an OpenBSD kernel
>> with
>> SROM debug enabled. OpenBSD can handle the on board tlp(4) / dc(4)
>> just
>> fine.
>
> It looks like the FreeBSD dc driver (which OpenBSD copied) always calls
> mii_attach(), so the fact that the SROM contents are bogus doesn't
> matter.
> Does the following patch help?

Probably not, since OpenBSD reporting that the internal phy is
being using.  In short, there is *no* phy to find.

My guess is the HP design is similar to the DE500-BA which is
only phy-less.
--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/