Subject: Re: Artec VOM-12E48X has no vendor id
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/18/2004 10:54:14
On 2004-07-18 fredb@immanent.net wrote:

> It's more than just window dressing. With "cdrdao", for instance, you
> may not make entries in the driver settings table with missing fields.
>
> One possibility that suggests itself is to modify scsipi_strvis() to
> return "UNKNOWN" rather than an empty string in cases like this. Any
> better ideas?

  Does returning no vendor id violate the spec?  If not, cdrdao should be
fixed (do the replacement in cdrdao before the table lookup).  I don't
like the idea of mucking with what is supposed to be device information
unless necessary (other apps may be expecting the missing vendor).  If it
is against the spec, then I think the text "NULL" would give a better hint
that the device didn't really return this text.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com