Subject: re: emul vs. symlinks
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/16/2004 19:52:35
   > I think that keeping two copies of namei is a bit ugly. Why don't we make
   > relative symlinks?

   They (almost certainly) take longer to process  - and someone was
   worried about a single test in the namei code.....

relative links here are just saner anyway.  right now you end up
with the case that $DESTDIR/usr/lib/libc.so points to my build
system libc not $DESTDIR/usr/lib/../../lib/libc.so.x.y, which means
that you get some very strange lossage modes when trying to look
inside or use $DESTDIR...

(for those who really care there could be a 3-way option for this,
relative, absolute or hard.  i'd likely take the latter myself, i
gave up on separate /usr long long time ago...)

.mrg.