Subject: Re: Compact Flash fixes (change request in PR#24633)
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/13/2004 20:54:31
On Tuesday 13 July 2004 20:21, Charles M. Hannum wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 July 2004 12:45, Ian Zagorskih wrote:
> > I got complete -current sources tree from releng dated as 20040711 and
> > tested on my target machine. Looks like -current works much better in
> > respect to Compact Flash cards :) 300kb/s in synchronous and >1Mb/s in
> > asynchronous mode is good.
>
> I'm not really sure what you mean by "synchronous" vs. "asynchronous mode"
> there.

I mean mounting FFS partition with and without -o sync flag. There's both
"sync/async" mount/dd tests listed in my previous post :)

> > Well, there's IMHO last question: why CF card is configured to use PIO
> > mode 0 ? I know my card supports PIO mode 2 and it actually reports its
> > capabilities in ATA identify response. At least i can trace this responce
> > in ata_get_params() call. But somewhere futher this information is
> > discarded and wd0 becomes PIO mode 0..
>
> Do you have a dump of the IDENTIFY info you can send me?  (Seems like it
> would be useful for atactl(8) to be able to do that...)

Unfortunately, atactl utility even from -current doesn't allow me to dump
complete command response buffer in binary or hex form. Current output looks
like:

---cut---
#atactl wd0 identify
Model: PQI IDE Flash Disk, Rev: db01.17a, Serial #:
Device type: ATAPI, removable
Device capabilities:
        LBA
---cut---

There's no fields atap_oldpiotiming and atap_olddmatiming from ataparams
structure (words #51 and #52 from ATA IDENTIFY command response). On the
other hand, according to PQI specification on their CF cards they put PIO/DMA
timing modes info exactly in this "old" fields. When i manually inspect
values inside ata_get_params() call i can see that, really, atap_oldpiotiming
= 2 and atap_olddmatiming = 0 i.e. PQI CF card passes correct PIO/DMA timing
values according to their specs.

If you like i can make a complete response buffer dump for IDENTIFY command.

PQI CF specs available from:
http://www.pqi.com.tw/eng/download/download-cf.htm
http://www.pqi.com.tw/eng/download/datasheet/datasheet/HITACHI-cf/FCXXX.XQ1
data sheet.pdf
http://www.pqi.com.tw/eng/download/datasheet/datasheet/HITACHI-cf/FCXXX.XQ6
data sheet.pdf

Not sure which of this two datasheets exactly describes card i'm using.

> > <offtopic on>
> > I want to see this changes in NetBSD 2.0 ! :)
>
> They already are.

Excellent :)

// wbr