Subject: keyboard input path questions
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: VaX#n8 <vax@carolina.rr.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/12/2004 20:42:27
Hi, I'm interested in learning about x86 keyboard input for a couple of
reasons:

1) I hear that that PC keyboards are "scanned" and therefore quantize inter-key
timing measurements.  I'd like to examine this and its implications on using
those timings for random number generation (a la PGP).

2) I got a free HP keyboard with 13 extra buttons on the top right that I
might as well use.

3) I want to understand and properly configure my keyboard and its key
bindings under various conditions (console mode, under X, in EMACS).
I particularly would like to exploit as many opportunities for keyboard
shortcuts and functions that I can use consistently among these conditions.
I have a good paper on backspace/del/^H but I want to deal with alt,
the "windows" key, control, caps lock, etc.

So, could someone point me at where keyboard input first enters the kernel,
and could some kind soul explain the path it follows (assuming use of wscons)?
I assume it will jump around quite a bit from the initial interrupt, through
wscons, terminal handling, etc.

TIA