Subject: Re: kern/start_init()/init_main.c doesn't care for /rescue ?
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 07/09/2004 16:19:34
On Friday 09 July 2004 16:06, der Mouse wrote:

> >> May I add that this behavior *rocks* :)) ... I saw it on a LiveCD
> >> once, really handy some time.
> >
> > lukem did this in netbsd as part of /rescue a couple of years ago.
> > see "boot -a".
>
> Did you perhaps miss the part where I wrote "if the first attempt to
> run init fails"?
>
> Based on the original grumble, it doesn't sound as though that's in
> there at present.

BTW right, when i tried to run /sbin/init and it fails due to broken libc i
got kernel panic. Would be nice to have a possibility to walk through
initpathes when init is found but during execution some error happens.
Instead of just panic. Imagine, i have several valid init backup copies and
don't have a physical access to the server so i cannot fix boot with -a.

// wbr