Subject: Re: mount_nfs, ISO and PR bin/1472
To: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/28/2004 11:06:34

On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 08:20:18AM -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> Over a year ago I tried to fold that PR in but the option letter was
> already being used.  Well, not exactly used since it was in an #ifdef
> and there was no mention of the option letter 'S' in the getopt call so
> even if ISO was defined it would never be used.  The question I had then
> and still have is can we just rip out the ISO code since it was never
> used anyway (imagine the bitrot) and just go ahead and complete 1472.=20
> Of course, I could use a different option letter for the port ('C' for
> connection?  Every other obvious one is used.) but it seems silly to
> waste letters on code that will never be called.
> Can anyone see any reason to keep the ISO code in there?

I'd say either just go with 'C', or go with 'S' but leave the ISO code=20
there. i.e. if you do that latter and someone defines ISO, then they will=
have a compile break to fix.

I'd say leave the ISO code. Since it's ifdef'd it doesn't hurt. Plus,=20
someday I think we should get the ISO code running (if only on two=20
machines on the same subnet).

Take care,