Subject: Re: halt on panic [patch]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/28/2004 12:40:52
On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 06:31:00PM +0200, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> When the system panics, it reboots immediately. On some systems (i386 :),
> it's too fast to read anything. Thus, being able to at least halt the
> machine if needed would be nice. What do people think about a
> HALT_ON_PANIC kernel option? Implementation below...
>
> I'd to commit this, unless someone has objections.

I know the effect is different, but would

# delay between "rebooting ..." message and hardware reset, in milliseconds
#options        CPURESET_DELAY=2000

fill your needs, here?  It seems more generally useful to let the
machine reboot if it's not being attended, but I can understand if
you do prefer it to just stop (in which case you _could_ just enable

-allen

 Wasabi Systems, Inc.             http://www.wasabisystems.com/