Subject: Re: CVS commit: src
To: Gordon Waidhofer <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/24/2004 21:18:20

On Jun 24, 2004, at 8:58 PM, Gordon Waidhofer wrote:

>> In terms of getting to this, I think I'd much prefer moving to
>> internal
>> locking.
> I'd vote for that, I think. Does internal and
> advisory/non-exclusive mean the same thing?

It means that it would be up to the file system.  Presumably there
would also be VOP_LOCK() and VOP_UNLOCK() calls that FS-independent
code would use to access fields in the generic vnode structure that are
also accessed by the FS-specific code, because there would be some
instances where that would be necessary.

But all vnode operations would otherwise enter with unlocked vnodes and
exit with unlocked vnodes.

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)