Subject: Q: USB, umass and custom subclass layer driver
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Jens Heilig <J.Heilig@bebro.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/18/2004 20:43:03
Hi all,

I'm new to this list and to NetBSD. While I usually write software for
embedded systems (32k RAM or less) it is now my task to write a USB driver
for a device we developped using a custom USB mass storage class protocol
(i.e. an alternative to the SCSI subclass commands).

The device communicates with the host via Bulk-Only protocol, which is
available in umass.c. Great! Now, being a newbie I'm clueless how I can
use this.

I would like to call umass_bbb_*() from userspace, after the device has
enumerated. Can you give me a hint how to approach this? Any documentation
about umass.c and adding custom USB drivers, beyond the source?

Basically, I'd like to have a driver which will allow my userspace
application to read/write generic data from/to the device. The driver does
not need to handle any protocol stuff beyond what mass storage class
bulk-only requires.

In parallel to this technical question: Is there anybody here who will
implement a driver for our device on a professional basis?

Thanks for your help,
jens heilig

Disclaimer:
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent my
employer.