Subject: Re: kernel: alignment fault trap on sparc
To: Eduardo Horvath <>
From: Manuel Bouyer <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/2004 23:27:25
well, it turns out it was an hardware issue, and not the one I expected:
I though it would be CPU or cache, but I swapped the motherboard and symptoms
persisted. Now that I remplaced all the RAM, it seems stable again.
I also couldn't get the panic on a SS2 or SS1+.

Sorry for the noise, and thanks for the sparc course !

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:10:13PM +0000, Eduardo Horvath wrote:
> [...]
> The save insn could cause a trap.  What save does is rotate the register
> windows.  (Let's see how well my memory works.  It's been a while since
> I dealt w/a V8 machine.)  There is a Window Invalid Mask (WIM) in the PSR

The IPX has a V7 processor. But the V7 also has this register windows
mechanism, isn't it ?

Manuel Bouyer <>