Subject: Interface traffic timestamps
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 06/11/2004 08:50:27
Hi folks,

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before. I would like to add a
timestams to struct ifnet: if_last_input. I would copy mono_time there,
after any filtering, once a packet from this interface is passed up
to higher network layers.

This would enable better timeout calculations for ISDN or PPPoE connections,
in the (still existing) cases where users pay by time or traffic, and our
current idle-timeout calculation does not kick in due to excessive virus
probes on say port 135.

A different solution would be to add an optional callback to the mbuf,
but that is at least as expensive.

The only other way I see is to duplicate a lot of IP related code in the
ISDN ppp parts (where it does not belong) and implement another filter there,
which sounds very wrong too.

Any big objections? I'll post patches here otherwise.

Martin