Subject: Re: LK_SHARED for VFS_VGET/FHTOVP
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/26/2004 17:36:17
--Apple-Mail-18--63205191

On May 26, 2004, at 4:43 PM, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> Sorry, I thought I was saying, "SHARED locks used on vnodes are
> currently
> bad." In general shared locks are good. And I'd like us to use them
> with
> vnodes. However we need to be more careful about it than we have been.

I'd still like you to be specific about what bugs ACTUALLY EXIST as a
result of using shared locks in the circumstances where they are
currently used.

Right now, you just seem to be asserting that it is so, but you haven't
shown that, for example, Chuq didn't do an analysis of those routines
and found them to be safe... I mean, maybe he did!

--Apple-Mail-18--63205191
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-18--63205191--