Subject: re: /dev/ptmx
To: Sean Davis <erplefoo@gmail.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/25/2004 12:25:42

   Would we, then, also get /dev/pts/<number> for name <-> pty mapping?
   That's one of the few things I like better about Linux than BSD...
   There are only so many /dev/ttyXY's you can use, and it looks quite
   obnoxious in 'w' or 'who' compared to Linux, where you just see
   'pts/whatever'. Of course, I don't claim to know what the official
   stance on any of this is, so I'm just tossing out an opinion.

why is this an issue?  we're not short of pty's by a long short.  my
system has 186 with only three "X" letters used (p, q & r.)  if you
push those to [s-zP-Z] that gives you a total of 1364 ptys.

i don't see why the output of 'w' is matters.