Subject: Re: accessing IDE hard drive via pcmcia card (redirected from
To: None <martin@duskware.de>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/22/2004 23:11:19
In message: <20040523004211.GA18223@drowsy.duskware.de>
            Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> writes:
: On Sun, May 23, 2004 at 08:10:00AM +0900, ITOH Yasufumi wrote:
:
: > I think the problem is that the pcmcia/cardbus driver turns
: > on and off the device too frequently during probe/attach (kern/8731).
:
: It's been a while, but last I looked there was one power up-probe-power-down
: phase, optionally followed by another power-up-on-mount. I don't see how you
: could optimize that.

More like two or three power cycles before mounting /.  At least in
the 1.6 time frame on my hpcmips machine for the microdrive I use as
my root device.

FreeBSD powers things up once, and it turns out to be a lot faster to
do it this way for real spinning media.  Turns out to be about a wash
for non-spinning media or network devices.

Warner