Subject: NetBSD kernel "underbelly" testing
To: None <>
From: Ben Elliston <>
List: tech-kern
Date: 05/21/2004 20:21:58

I've an interest in helping to develop a kernel testsuite for NetBSD.
I've spoken to Luke Mewburn about it and he thinks it's worth
discussing on this list, so here it is :-)

I've been giving thought to testing the kernel using a virtualisation
system like Xen.  If we presuppose that NetBSD, being so portable, has
a minimum amount of machine dependent code, we can get a good
approximation for all NetBSD ports by testing NetBSD/xen on a Xen
system.  This would involve modifying Xen so that the behaviour of the
underlying virtual hardware could be manipulated by a scriptable

Tests could be scripted such that a variety of hardware events could
be triggered and the kernel's response to these tested (eg. disk
errors, bus timeouts, etc).

Any comments?  Is this worth pursuing?

Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (GNU/Linux)