Subject: Re: compressed device layer
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: Paul Ripke <stix@stix.homeunix.net>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/28/2004 17:17:00
As others have said, compressed filesystems exist - DOS, MacOS and
even the venerable AIX compressed JFS. From experience, they are
hideously slow when lseek(2) is involved on large files; no
surprises there. But they do have their uses.

Compressed block devices are another matter. I can't think of any
writable implementations, but there are read-only implementations
out there (like the HDI driver in MacOS X). Implementing a read-write
compressed block device would be challenging, given the completely
arbitrary nature of compression ratios.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke