Subject: Re: compressed device layer
To: Christian Limpach <chris@pin.lu>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/24/2004 18:50:41
On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 04:39:05PM +0200, Christian Limpach wrote:
> How are you going to map the compressed blocks to blocks on the underlying
> device since the sizes will be different and changing over timer?

I wonder if a compressed file system would be a better/easier/more flexible
aproach. I'm not sure compressed swap is worth all the trouble to do it at
the block device layer. But then I don't use compression anywhere when
I run OSes that support it - so on the other hand I'm not sure this is
worth any effort at all. One could argue that either the CPU is too slow
to make good use of compression or the architecture will allow for very
fast, big, and cheap disks anyway ;-)

Martin