Subject: Re: ktr from freebsd
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Andrey Petrov <petrov@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/23/2004 11:51:36
On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 12:43:17PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:

>  - Maybe the default KTR_TIME should be just the kernel time variable?

It's supposed to be cpu counter, just not there yet.

>  - Adding a sysctl to return the trace buffer would be nice (remember
>    64-bit alignment so there's no compat32 issues - sparc64 is a good
>    place to test this :-).
>
>  - What did FreeBSD have in terms of "sysctl control"?  A simple
>    "enable/disable" tracing button would be nice.

FreeBSD has an ability to save trace to a file, so if kern_ktr will go
to tree I restore/port that part too. sysctl lets you to select
flow to capture (using mask), and to control over storing trace to file.
Getting trace by sysctl: information saved in trace point is pointer
to format string and six parameters, so easiest(and kernel image
independant) would be printing it and returning in string.

>  - I'm a little concerned with uvmhist overlap.  I'd guess we'd want
>    one or the other in the kernel, not both.

Second that, FreeBSD