Subject: Re: ktr from freebsd
To: Andrey Petrov <petrov@NetBSD.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/22/2004 15:48:37
Andrey Petrov wrote:
> I needed low-level memory buffer tracing and I took freebsd's kern_ktr.c
> for that. I stripped 'bells and whistls' like sysctl control and saving in
> file,  because I don't think they are really needed and it would take more
> time for porting. Main reason was replace sparc64 traptrace with something
> more generic and flexible, uvm_history seems closest by functionality but too tied to
> uvm and somewhat too heavy for .S codes. So I ended up with freebsd's
> kern_ktr and that's light-weight, simple and convinient interface.

As far as it's optional, it's better committed than not :) If the
stuff would be useful for other archs besides sparc64, someone
would write the necessary MD parts.

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-