Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys/fs/msdosfs
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/21/2004 09:47:11
Todd Whitesel wrote:
> Since Jaromir has unilaterally initiated the flag day that gets us back to
> compatibility with mount_msdos binaries built before Itojun's gmtoff change,
> I'd like to get a long-term fix agreed on and into -2-0 soon, so we don't
> end up revisiting this the next couple times msdosfs adds tunable settings.

I fixed the immediate problem, i.e. that the gmtoff member was
added without regard of backward compatibility, that the older
mount_msdos stopped working correctly with new kernel. That
had to be dealt ASAP, before we could start discussing
what's the best way forward.

I mean to look at your proposal, but haven't managed so far due
to lack of time.

> Also, it occurs to me that the msdos struct probably needs to be added to
> the mount(2) man page. I think I can sort that out, but it's only worth
> doing after we agree on the versioning.

I don't think so - 3rd party code is not supposed to call mount(2),
so I don't see need to maintain copy of the structure
in manpage.

> If no one objects to the full patch by friday (april 23), I'd like to move
> forward with everything as proposed in the PR.

Please hold off. I wouldn't have time to look at the
proposed change before Saturday.

Jaromir
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-