Subject: re: statvfs(2) replacement for statfs(2) patch
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/19/2004 21:43:57
On Apr 20, 11:34am, mrg@eterna.com.au (matthew green) wrote:

| cool. we needed this for large filesystem :-)
|

|    The statfs() calls are still available at link time for dynamic binaries,
|    and at runtime for statically linked binaries (with COMPAT_20), but they
|    are not available at compile time. This is a design choice, to force people
|    to move to the more portable statvfs() call, without needing to provide
|    an expanded statfs() call that would handle > 2TB or limiting old programs
|    to 2TB.
|
| i think it's too early for this change.  ie, netbsd 2.0 supports
| statfs() but the next (major) release won't.  how about remove them
| from being supported in the following release?  that gives people
| at least one release with both interfaces and some time to change.

The change to expose statfs again is a couple of lines in <sys/mount.h>.
We can put it back just before the next minor release if we need
it. OTOH, it is better to break and fix as much third party software
as we can during the development cycle of the next minor release.
Otherwise, we'll never see the 3rd party software that needs to be
changed.

christos