Subject: Re: sharing disks on the same bus with multiple hosts
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/15/2004 19:12:43
--Apple-Mail-43-695148450

On Apr 15, 2004, at 2:05 PM, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

>> You'd also have to teach our HBA drivers to not rudely abort other
>> HBA's
>> queued requests on the whole bus with a SCSI bus reset.
>
> The others HBA drivers should be able to handle this

I think you missed his point.

Consider the following topology:

      Server A -----+----- Server B

            Shared Disk Pool

Server A and Server B are coordinating access to Shared Disk Pool, both
have outstanding commands with the Shared Disk Pool.

Now, Server A reboots (due to a crash or whatever).  NOTE: Server B is
still using Shared Disk Pool and has outstanding commands!

Right now, when Server A comes back up, it issues a SCSI Bus Reset,
which KILLS any commands that Server B has running on the Shared Disk
Pool.  All of those commands error out, and you see a major drop in
performance as Server B has to recover.

This is not a good thing.  And there is no good reason for Server A to
issue that SCSI Bus Reset in the first place.

Basically, we should fix our HBA drivers to be good citizens.

--Apple-Mail-43-695148450
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-43-695148450--