Subject: Re: keeping sysctl documentation in sync.
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/11/2004 13:02:19
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, matthew green wrote:
> 	- cpp magic (not sure how this would work yet)
> 	- something like the method aymeric posted: some structured
> 	C comment above the sysctl create operation.
> 	- put the docs in the kernel but in it's own unloaded section
> 	and teach sysctl(8) to look in machdep.booted_kernel|/netbsd
> 	(etc.) to find it.

Another way would be to put the documentation inside special commends in
the source, and then extract them into a manpage, sort of what we do
for the MAKEDEV.8 manpage (see src/share/man/man8/M*).

This won't solve the problem of old documentation if kernel is upgraded
(e.g. when running a -current kernel on a -stable system) though.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>