Subject: Re: sharing disks on the same bus with multiple hosts
To: None <tech-kern@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/10/2004 03:58:14
>> [hostid locator for scsibus attachments]
> That also makes it possible to take care of HBAs that have multiple
> busses behind them,

I don't quite understand.  Wouldn't that be better represented as
something like

(config file)				(autoconfiguration)
device foo { bus = -1 }: scsi		foo0 at sbus0 slot 2 offset 0x0
foo* at sbus? slot ? offset ?		scsibus1 at foo0 bus 0
scsibus* at foo? bus ?			scsibus2 at foo0 bus 1

(With a "bus" locator that's attached to "device foo" since it's
something specific to that device rather than common to all scsi
devices.)  As far as I can see, this is completely orthogonal to my
hostid suggestion.

I must have misunderstood something.

> and it's exactly the kind of thing you'd want in a kernel config file
> in that manner.

That's basically what pushed me to it - it conceptually ought to be a
scsibus instance variable set at instantiation time, and the kernel
config is just about the only place we have to specify such a thing.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign