Subject: Re: sharing disks on the same bus with multiple hosts
To: Rhialto <rhialto@azenomei.knuffel.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/09/2004 16:59:09
--7gGkHNMELEOhSGF6

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 11:32:54PM +0200, Rhialto wrote:
> On Fri 09 Apr 2004 at 13:56:41 -0700, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> > This requires some complex coordination.  For starters, we would need=
=20
> > to support the SCSI RESERVE/RELEASE (older) and newer persistent=20
> > reservation commands.  Then other software (like the file system) has=
=20
> > to be taught how to use them.  That can be Very Hard for fairly simple,=
=20
> > depending on the sharing model you want to employ.
>=20
> Can't you simply limit each partition to one host each? Perhaps that was
> not really the question, but as far as I am aware that is the most that
> is currently going to work.

You can, but that's not really the point. The point is to do something=20
where each host will need the disk. A simple example is a failover=20
configuration, where the hot-spare computer can grab the disk on failure.=
=20
A more complicated example would be gfs, where both computers use the file=
=20
system simultaneously.

Take care,

Bill