Subject: Implementing a sound card driver
To: None <tech-kern@netbsd.org>
From: Wouter Klouwen <dublet@dublet.org>
List: tech-kern
Date: 04/09/2004 16:50:45
Good day all,

I recently bought a Terratec Aureon Sky 5.1 sound card, and found it was not
recognized in NetBSD*, thus I am creating my own driver. This is quite an
adventure, although fortunatly, a bit of work has been done for me, as
Joachim Thiemann** started a driver for his Audiophile sound card, which has
the same chipset.

So far, I have been able to at least get the sound card recognized, by using
this code and looking at the emuxki source a bit to borrow some code
(for auto config, etc). However, I have no previous experience with
developing drivers, and don't have a clue how it works with sound card
(well, a basic idea, but no clue on actual implementation).

Which leads my to my question. Is there any simple sound card driver which I
could use as a guide on how things should work, or any documentation on sound
card drivers?

Thanks in advance,
	Wouter Klouwen

*: See http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2004/3/14/0002.html